Till now I did not know what it is and just come across one of the article related to it which leads me to the opening of wikipedia and several other sites related to it and I found it to be interesting.
In general language, it is a therapy in which book reading is use to treat mental conditions and some psychological disorders, but can also be used in children to improve their social skills.
Types of Books Use :
Books can be of any type, fictional stories, novels, self help books, non-fiction, bussiness, and so on, it all depends upon the type of disorder patient is having.
Some Salient Features of Bibliotherapy :
1) Which book to read is decided by the bibliotherapist after diagnosing the condition of the person.
2) Books are choosen keeping in mind the plot or story of the book, so that it should coincide with the present situation of the person to whom book is prescribed.
3) Book are prescribed in the form of “prescription”.
4) After completion of book, the reader is encouraged by the bibliotherapist to discuss the story with him alone or with the larger group so that the person can analyse his present situation and can able to work on it.
5) Children can also understand the situation better with the help of children stories.
Major requirements is the active participation from the patient side, patient should have a normal intellectual level so that he can able to understand the problem and can relate his own life situation with the story of the book.
Useful For :
Practitioners have reported successful use of bibliotherapy in treating eating disorders, anxiety and mood disorders, agoraphobia , alcohol and substance abuse, and stress-related physical disorders.
So for me this whole concept of bibliotherapy is awesome as I have also felt that when I am reading some book than there is so much decrease in the stress level and at that time we are in our own “ZONE”.
So guys, what is your thought on this topic, do share your views…
“HAPPY READING” 📚
Pic credit (as per picture order) :
Macleans.ca, peabodylibrary.org, haikudeck.com