One of the most prevalent illness in the society, can harm alot if untreated, yet taken very lightly by the society, and most of the population rely on the over the counter drugs for its treatment.
It is very prevalent in females, and hence it is also very less told to others (one more taboo in our society).
Recently my relative has been suffered from this, and because of shame she hasn’t told for long time, which leads to spread of this disease into her kidneys, had a severe deranged kidney function but fortunately she is all right now. This leads to compelled me to write this blog on this simple topic, so that at least I am able to create some kind of awareness.
What Is Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) ?
- It is the infection involving the urethra, bladder, ureters and the kidneys.
Important Stats :
- More common in adults than children.
- If occurs, than it is more serious in children.
- More common in girls and women, than in boys and men.
- 40% of women and 12% of men have urinary tract infection at some time of their life.
Causes of UTI :
“E. Coli bacteria” most common cause. This bacteria resides into our intestines and around anus. It move from anus to opening of urethra, because of :
1) Improper Wiping
2) Sexual Intercourse.
Increased Risk Groups :
- Females sex and Post Menopausal Women.
- Immuno Suppressed People : HIV/AIDS, Diabetes, Cancer patients.
- Peoples having Kidney stones.
- Enlarged Prostate in men.
- Poor Hygiene
Note : Females are more susceptible to infection than men, because of their anatomy (shorter urethra than man).
Signs and Symptoms :
What kind of Doctors treat UTI ?
They may be Family physician, Internal Medicine, Gynecologists as well as Pediatrician for children.
Home Remedies :
- Use a hot water bottle to decrease pain.
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid coffee, alcohol or spicy foods, as they further irritate the bladder.
- Cranberry Juice.
Mainly the “antibiotics” prescribed by the physician.
Prevention of UTI :
- Women and girls, should wipe from “front to back” (not vice versa) after defecation. This helps to bacteria from the anus entering the urethra.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Empty the bladder regularly and completely after the sexual intercourse.
Hope this information may be helpful for you to have some prevention from very prevelent illness of our society.
I am taking my Alexa Rank to the next level with BlogChatter #MyFriendAlexa.
My Current Global Rank is 5,871,790. India Rank is 2,43,138